Client: Therapeutics Initiative, UBC
Therapeutics Initiative (TI) is an organization, funded by UBC, to provide evidence on drug therapies, independent of corporate entities. Their website receives high traffic from healthcare professionals, despite functional errors on the website. A few of their website concerns are the search functionality– which is not working at all–, and the ease of maintenance of the website. Their last upgrade, in 2010, is made to the Drupal 6 content management system, which is known to be less maintenance-friendly compared to WordPress. Hence, they contact me to migrate and redesign their website to WordPress.
The new TI website is designed to make content more accessible. Here are the lists of the changes:
- Bigger focus on social media on the home page
- Prominent buttons used for registering to events, downloading the Therapeutics letter, and for sharing posts
- Profiles on the About pages condensed in a grid and can be expanded to view details
- Over 200 posts migrated
- Content laid out for better readability and online scanning
- Content separated into different post types for better grouping of material. Example, pharmacoepidemiology links open in new windows, continuing education events have consistent thumbnail images for easy identification.
- Mobile responsive
- Retains multilingual capability
- Search produces results by relevance
- Easier to manage
- Comments are sent to admins for moderation and approval